Thursday, January 17, 2013

Baby's Nursery

The nursery reveal! Or at least a few more pictures of a very small room.

As I said in my last post, I really wanted a nursery that was bright and happy. I didn't have any specific theme, mainly because I don't really like themed rooms in general, so why start with the nursery? I'm not at all a design person, but for a baby I figured that bright colors would be fun, so we just started in that direction and ended up with a room that both B and I are really happy with. Even better was that we were able to use a lot of things that we already had or that my parents gave us so we didn't have to buy too many new things.


The dresser straight ahead is the Ikea Hemnes dresser, with a cooshee changer on top. We found the cooshee changer by calling the manufacturer directly, but honestly we didn't have the best customer experience with them (we originally ordered the light blue, it came damaged, it took a lot of time between when we sent it back and they finally let us know we'd have to choose another color, and then when this one eventually showed up there were still some issues with it, but we were tired of dealing with it at that point so we just decided to keep it). Hopefully we'll end up loving the changer when baby comes, but as I said, annoying process.

The half bookcase to the right came from my parents, and the stuffed animals on top are all gifts from friends. The print (as you'll see a bit better soon) came from my sister in law who just by chance ended up getting us an amazingly perfect print for this room!


I love the curtains that we got! B found them in Ikea and they're just perfect. They bring together the red of the dresser and the turquoise rug (which you can't see all that great in this picture, but the rug is a really nice dark turquoise color and is the rug that B and I got married on two years ago. I love that we can repurpose it for baby!

The crib is the Ikea Gulliver crib, and yes, I know that once baby arrives nothing should be in the crib. But until baby comes, the Tiggers are hanging out there along with the boppy (that I got for $10 off of Craigslist, yay!).

My parents gifted us the rocking chair which I LOVE! I didn't really want a glider and I wanted something that would last through multiple kids (my mom still has the wooden rocking chair that she rocked all three of us in as babies). The little wood bookcase I've had since college I think, and the taller bookcase is from my parents (yay for taking furniture out of their garage that they don't need anymore!).


So many books! B and I are huge readers, so we took the opportunity to move some of our favorite young adult type books that we had into this room even if they aren't exactly baby friendly yet (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Ender's Game series, Redwall series, the Black Stallion book and the Laura Ingalls Wilder series). The lower shelves have the kid friendly board books and other favorites. I can't wait until baby gets old enough to start choosing books on his/her own! (And yes, that's a picture of Cody in the middle. What? Gotta represent the first baby in our family.)


This is the other side of the room with the closet. B took the doors off of the closet which opens up that space a lot. I didn't get a great picture of it, but we have a hanging set of shelves that currently hold all of the baby's clothes organized by size. I figured it would be easy to grab them at the beginning, and if it ends up not working we'll switch it up. Prior to becoming the nursery we kept extra clothes and hangers in this closet, and since we don't really have anywhere else to put the hangers, they're just hanging around (ha, yes, I know) for right now until we figure out a better solution. And again, I like that we still have some empty shelves in the closet as I'm sure we'll fill them soon enough!


This is the big blank wall above the crib that I talked about before. No idea what to do with it that won't involve something making me nervous about falling onto the kiddo. So... we'll see if we end up doing anything there really. And no, there's no crib skirt. I am weirdly passionate in my hatred for all things bed (or crib) skirt. We are storing some things under there and I don't care in the slightest if people can see them.


A better shot of the print that B's sister sent us (it's a tree with the alphabet scattered around it, and the colors are perfect for this room!). So far the half bookcase holds bathroom supplies and toys. We'll see how that evolves as we figure out what we need to store there.


And looking back out to the hallway. With Cody. Of course. Big brother is a big fan of hanging out in this room when I'm sitting in the rocking chair.

So that's the nursery! I'm really happy with how it turned out and now we just need a baby to fill it! Hopefully baby decides he or she is ready to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...