Thursday, December 20, 2012

Well.



I didn't really anticipate writing another post this week, and I certainly didn't anticipate the reason for the post that I'm writing today.

I got laid off yesterday.

I didn't see that one coming, I'll be honest.

Now, I knew that there were some problems and things weren't necessarily going in the direction that we had all planned on, but I thought that we at least had a few more months. Because really? Less than a week before Christmas? Also, not sure if you've noticed, but I'm almost 9 months pregnant. So, among other people getting laid off from my company is a 9 month pregnant lady, a week before Christmas.

And a Happy New Year to you, too!

Yesterday morning I was in a panic. Today I'm feeling better. It still sucks, but we'll be ok.

And also? I discovered that I have a lot of pretty awesome people in my corner out there. People who may not know me personally, or may not know me all that well, but were immediately willing to connect me to someone they knew who might know of a job, or just might be a good connection down the line. Or who were willing to pass my resume on to someone who might know someone. Who knows what may come of it, but it's really nice to know how many amazing people are out there and are willing to help someone who had a shitty day. To those of you who reached out - thank you so much. I appreciate it more than you know.

Sadly, I've been here before. I did graduate from law school into the worst recession since the Great Depression after all. But as B reminded me last night, we've always landed on our feet. And we've got a lot more things in the positive column this time than we did last time. Sure, we've also got the aforementioned baby on the way, but perhaps it's a good thing that I won't even have to pretend to think (or not think) about my job when the kiddo comes. And with how exhausted I've been lately, I'm not going to lie and say that the prospect of actually getting to take afternoon naps (as opposed to sitting at my desk wishing I could take an afternoon nap) doesn't thrill me a little bit.

I am hopeful that something better lies ahead. I don't know what that is yet, but I'm certainly on the watch for it. Christmas has always seemed like such a hopeful and happy time of year, and I'm determined to remain positive and enjoy this time with my family and friends. 

To all of you, I wish you a Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, and a very happy New Year. 

4 comments:

  1. I am convinced that something better absolutely lies ahead. :) I'm sorry you got laid off, and what shitty timing to boot, but I really do believe better things are coming!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey. I am sorry you got laid off. I am sending you guys all kind of love and good juju. *big huge fluffy hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you got laid off! This economy is so crappy and frustrating. That said, I really do believe that better things are ahead for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. Thinking of you. Will happily pass on your resume!! (PS my friends mom actually now works at Nordstrom (think of the perks!!) and she will happily talk to you!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...