Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving

I've been trying to remember and for the life of me I cannot remember a Thanksgiving that I didn't spend with my parents. I also can't remember a Christmas that I didn't spend with my family in my own home, but that's another story for another day.

Thanksgiving to me means spending time with my family. Specifically I mean with my parents and siblings, but there have been years when I was the only child who was able to make it home. More often however, there are lots of others celebrating with us (siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, students of my dad, etc) which just makes the day more festive. And really, with all of the delicious food and plenty of wine, how could the day be anything but fun? (I realize I'm fairly lucky that I'm 31 years old and can't remember a drama filled day.)

Part of the reason I've always had Thanksgiving with my family is because where I went to college we had the whole week of Thanksgiving off (which was awesome). They actually shut the dorms and made everyone leave ("you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"), and since I was only a 4 hour drive from home, why else wouldn't I go home? In law school I was about 5 hours away, and while I could have stayed and spent the day with friends, it had usually been awhile since I'd seen my parents and it was nice to go home for a break (even if I did spend the majority of the three days I was home during my 1L year writing outlines and cramming for finals in a coffee shop).

B hasn't quite had the family connection to Thanksgiving that I have, and in fact for many years this was very much a friend holiday for him. He and whichever of his friends were around would cook a big dinner and spend time relaxing with each other. Luckily he likes my family a lot and is more than happy to spend Turkey Day with them, though he does still find it strange not to be the one making the bulk of the meal (my mom does that - I help where I can and usually make a pie. Also I am Chief Taste Tester of all that comes out of the kitchen. Between that and watching football with my dad, it really is a most excellent day). 

I'm hopeful that perhaps next Thanksgiving we'll be in a position to host my family so that my mom doesn't have to do as much. I'm pretty sure she'd be plenty happy to spend the day playing with our kiddo while B and I make dinner (what, clearly I'm not going to do it myself!). But this year I'm going to enjoy all of her cooking (especially the stuffing - it's my grandmother's recipe and it's SO GOOD) and pretend not to notice all of the excellent wine that everyone else is drinking. Me and my sparkling cider totally aren't jealous (and yes, I phrased that exactly how I intended).

Hope you all have a wonderful day however you choose to spend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...