Monday, November 26, 2012

A Very Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. And I've been lucky in that most places I've worked I've had the Friday after Thanksgiving off as well as Thanksgiving Day (or I've just taken it off) which means that I'm very used to having a four day weekend. And I love that the actual holiday is at the beginning of the break so I spend the week leading up to Thursday all excited and then I still have three full days to enjoy doing whatever it is I want to enjoy (this year - a lot of napping and eating leftovers and watching football). Christmas is a close second, but there always seems to be other stress surrounding the holiday which isn't present at Thanksgiving.

Sunrise on Thanksgiving morning from my parents house.

Plus, I've decided that the absolute best part about now living closer to my parents is that we can go spend a couple of nights with them and still get two full days of vegging out time on my own couch. Yes, I am very thankful for my couch in case you couldn't tell!


My contribution to dinner this year was a caramel apple pie (recipe found here) and it was delicious! I was a bit worried about how it was going to turn out, but luckily everyone loved it! Mom says I might have to make one every year (oh darn...). Actually, I might make another one sooner rather than later as we ended up with an extra batch of caramel sauce (let's just say I tried to be ahead of the game by making the sauce at home before going to my parents, and then promptly forgot it in my fridge. Whoops).

Mom's the head Thanksgiving chef-in-charge-of-yummy-goodness for our family meal while I keep her company (and attempt to help wherever I can). The stuffing is my absolute favorite (Grandma's recipe!) and her turkey came out so delicious this year! Plus, since we ended up with only five of us for dinner that meant there were a lot of my other favorite part of Thanksgiving - leftovers!



And is it really Thanksgiving without a picture of the dog begging for turkey?

Though because of a recent bout of not-feeling-well-itis, no turkey scraps for Cody!


I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and were able to spend it however you wanted - whether with family or friends or at a movie or scoping out the best deals for Black Friday (better you than me - you couldn't pay me to deal with Black Friday crowds!). Now that we're heading into December, I'm trying to soak up this last holiday season as a family of two with B before our lives change so much when this little one decides to make his or her debut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...