Friday, October 26, 2012

Current Events

I know that my posting schedule is all wonky (ha, schedule! That implies that I actually am able to write here more than once or twice a week). I hope to get better about that, but I'm pretty sure that for the moment I'll just continue to write when inspiration strikes. 

My point though, is that when I do post on Fridays, I like to keep things a bit lighter. I mean, it's Friday! It's almost the weekend! Gotta get down on Fridays and all that (and apologies for now getting that stuck in your heads, but blame my co-worker for doing it to me).

But today there's something else I want to talk about. Specifically, what in the name of all that is holy is going on in the world? I used to be somewhat of a news junkie, and political news in particular. I majored in politics in college and I'm fascinated by the behind-the-scenes aspects of campaigns. And beyond politics, I've always been a person who wanted to know what was going on at all times. I just liked knowing what was going on and couldn't understand those who purposefully kept themselves in the dark about current events.

But lately, I think I get it. I just can't handle watching the news anymore. MSNBC (though I guess now it's NBCnews.com) used to be my homepage. Not anymore. About the only news I can handle on a regular basis is the half hour of the Today Show that I watch while eating breakfast and the Daily Show that I watch in the evening. There just seems to be so much tragedy in the world - whether it's children being abducted and killed, countries at war with each other, people blowing each other up, stabbings happening in neighborhoods where either myself or my husband work during the day... I seriously cannot take it anymore. 

I'm pretty sure a big part of it has to do with being pregnant and thinking about this new life and the world that this baby will be born into. And I'm also pretty sure that my desire for news avoidance will only grow stronger once this baby is actually in the world (I'm also pretty sure that at least for the first several weeks after the baby is born I won't know which way is up, let alone what's actually going on in the world...). I know that we don't live in a world that is rainbows and sunshine all the time. Bad shit happens. I get that. But is it just me, or is more bad shit happening now? Or are we just more aware of it because of the 24 hour news world we live in thanks to cable news outlets? I don't want to bury my head in the sand, and so I do try to pay attention to some stories, but when all I hear is doom and gloom my reaction now is to pull the blanket over my head to shut it all out and hold my family even closer. Which may not be the most helpful reaction, but I think it's what I need to do for my sanity now.

Anyone else been going through this? Did you ever start paying more attention to the news again or have you continued to tune out whatever you can?

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree, I can't stand watching the news anymore. I watched a lot of TV when I was home with her for 3 months but tried to watch things on Netflix and on our hard drive - not the news. Since I've been back at work, the only news I see is if I go looking for it online or if it comes across Twitter, Facebook or one of the Mom sites I like to follow.

    I think it's harder for me to watch the news now because I have a daughter. I can't stand all of these horrible stories I read and sadly enough, I can't even watch Law and Order SVU anymore. It is definitely due to the ability to get news 24/7 and hear news from all over, not just your area.

    Bad shit happens. I just don't need to hear about it. "La la la! Sunshine! Rainbows!" I think I've gone into Mommy protection mode. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear you there. I do a lot of "I'm not listening!" at times. And I'm the same way with SVU. I used to love that show, and I just can't go there anymore.

      Delete
  2. The news is so hard to watch. It really makes me sad and fear for our kids. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Which also makes me mad because everything that I read about actual empirical studies about child safety is that kids are SO much safer than they used to be! And I really want my kids to be able to run around outside the way my siblings and I did growing up. I think that's part of why I don't like being inundated with stories like that because it makes me want to not let my (not even yet born!) child out of my sight and I know that's not actually the type of parent that I want to be. Sigh. It's definitely tough.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...