Friday, July 27, 2012

2012 Olympic Games!

The Olympics start tonight! (Actually they appeared to start on Wednesday when the US women's soccer team beat France 4-2, but whatever, we'll go with today since the Opening Ceremonies are tonight!)


Also, apparently I only post on Thursdays or Fridays now? WTF self? I blame a lot of factors, most notably being busy at work and not having a whole lot to talk about. Which is one of the reasons why I'm SO excited for the Olympics to start!


I LOVE the Olympics. I know that not everyone feels this way, but seriously, I love them. I watched the Opening Ceremonies of the Sidney Olympics in 2000 in a basement of my freshman dorm because they were in early September. The last summer Olympics in Beijing will always hold a special place in my heart because I watched several of Michael Phelps' record breaking wins while at my grandmother's celebrating her 90th birthday. As she passed away this past January, I know I'll watch the swimming events with a special little ache in my heart remembering how loudly she cheered.




I found the clips of Kerri Strug's amazing vault from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and totally teared up while watching, cheering her on again even though it was 16 years ago (sidenote - I still think the 90s were 10 years ago. Another WTF?). I like the video that I embedded above because there's a lot of exposition that I didn't remember - like how far ahead the US team was until that last rotation on vault when everything started falling apart (Dominique Moceanu falling down twice! Shannon Miller fell! Kerri Strug falls on her first vault and hurts herself! Can she go again??). Also I love that they were able to find her the warm up jacket for the medal ceremony but no one could find her pants. Pants? Who needs pants?


This year I'm excited to once again watch and cheer for the US, but also cheer for all of those who made it. You 100 meter swimmer who will finish 25th? YOU WERE AT THE OLYMPICS! That right there is something to be proud of. Also, my friend and her husband will be at the Olympics this year for her job (SO COOL), so even though I probably won't get to see her on any tv, I'll know she's there soaking up the experience (also working her ass off). Also, she also currently lives in Jamaica and I'm pretty sure she's going to find a way to get to see Usain Bolt run. Which will be awesome.


Tonight I'll watch the Opening Ceremonies and laugh at the ridiculousness, but also love the pageantry of it all. It's the Olympics. And I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Major fan of the Olympics too. Especially gymnastics. I recorded all of the gymnastics on VHS! Still have the tapes. I posted about it today with some cool shots of Team USA gymnasts if you want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...