Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Working it out

Ok, so I got a nice kick-in-the-pants about some of the things that I was down about over the weekend which was actually really helpful. Big huge thank you to friends who email me when I'm down and go out for drinks with me and remind me that things really are all right.


One of the things that I figure out was bothering me (which I realized during my wallowing-sort-of-self-reflection time this weekend) was that B and I don't get out as much anymore. When we lived in Portland, we did a great job of discovering the various neighborhoods that we lived in, whether by grabbing a drink for happy hour or going out to dinner or breakfast on the weekends. It was great and I felt much more connected to the city in a lot of ways than I do right now in Seattle. Which is sad since I love Seattle, and I'd be perfectly happy living here the rest of my life.


So, clearly one answer to that is to get out more. And that is something that we're going to try to do, but we realized just how much we were spending when we lived in Portland. Which is why we've cut back so much on going out to eat since we moved up here. And yes, that's a good thing, but what I realized is that we need to make more of an effort to discover new places instead of simply getting the same old takeout on the days that we do decide we want to eat out. Which is why this week is so great!


It's Restaurant Week in Seattle!


For $28 a person you get a three course meal at a ton of different restaurants. And sure, this still isn't necessarily cheap (our pho takeout comes to $12 for both of us!), but it is a great way to explore different areas and have some fun for not a ridiculous amount of money. So I'm meeting some friends to try a place tonight, and then B and I are going out with my parents and aunt tomorrow. 


So anyone who's in Seattle (or been to Seattle) where's your favorite place to go? We need suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know Seattle, but when we want to get out and explore but don't want to spend a lot of money, we make dinner at home and then go out for a drink. Or we'll have a drink and an appetizer and have a small meal at home afterwards. It's all still more than $12 pho (or $16 Indian, in our case), but the point is to get out and at least we don't spend a FORTUNE that way. Otherwise it's way too easy to never leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea and one I need to remember more - that going out doesn't have to include the entire meal (plus whatever else we end up doing). And also that going out for a beer can just be for one drink, not three :) That one's harder, especially when the sun comes out and you're sitting out on a deck somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love restaurant week!

    Some favorites:
    Viola!: Hands down amazing French food. Best French onion soup of my life.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/mbase/cgi-bin/DisplayPage.pl?document_id=2004206648

    Frank's Oyster House: Had happy hour here last week. Great atmosphere and good food. Obviously an excellent collection of oysters.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/mbase/cgi-bin/DisplayPage.pl?document_id=2008849925

    Mistral Kitchen: we had our anniversary dinner here last year. The food is insanely delicious.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/mbase/cgi-bin/DisplayPage.pl?document_id=2004202146

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...