Monday, February 13, 2012

Things I've Been Thinking About

In no particular order, here are a few things I've been pondering lately.


1. The difference between taking the Bar Exam this time around as opposed to the last time I did it. I should point out that I've only taken one bar exam, and I passed it, so I am a member of a state's bar. It's just that all 50 states get to have their own exam and if you don't waive into a state's bar when you move, you get to take another exam. Which is what I'm doing. But the difference is kind of striking. Last time I studied all day, just about every day, for seven weeks. I started the week after I graduated law school and took the exam at the end of July. I wasn't working anywhere else at the time (thank god for bar stipends!), and I wasn't married yet. B and I were dating, but we weren't living together and he had plenty of his own things going on that summer. The point is, looking back, my responsibilities were really not many. I had to make sure that I ate and that the house didn't fall apart since we were going to try to sell it after I moved out at the end of the summer. I had to make sure that Cody was cared for. But really that's it.


This time? I'm married and need to make sure that my relationship with B stays strong (though it's really nice knowing he's gone through all of this, so understands exactly everything I'm going through). Still have the dog, but let's be honest, B does way more of the dog caring than I do. B makes sure I eat healthy when I come home. But I am working full time. Which means that I don't have the single minded focus that I had last time. However, I also don't have the fear. And while it may have been 3 years ago, I actually remember a fair amount of the black letter law, which is kind of scary. Sure, there's a lot more work I need to do in the next couple of weeks, but I'm not nearly as stressed or panicked as I was last time. Of course, this means I might not be doing as much work and therefore won't pass which would suck, but I'm choosing to think that my more relaxed take will be a good thing. I hope.


2. Intersections with no stop or yield signs. Does your city do this? Or is this a particularly weird Seattle thing? I'm not talking about at major intersections, but rather on residential cross streets. In many neighborhoods in Seattle, when two minor roads come together, there aren't any road signs. So it's not exactly clear which street might have the right of way. I used to treat them all as 4 way stops, but when there's usually not anyone there, that gets old quickly. So, now in my neighborhood I tend to treat one direction of roads (East-West I think) as having the right of way, and the other (North-Southish) as the ones who should yield. The problem is that clearly not everyone thinks this way. Which means that every so often (well, like twice since we moved here), I nearly get into an accident. I haven't yet, but I did have one guy honk really loudly at me one time. But why? Neither of us clearly had the right of way, so why get mad? Anyway. I've always found that really odd.


3. I'm looking forward to having spare time again. Sure, I have time at the end of the evenings to wind down and watch some tv, so I clearly have some spare time, but Sundays are the only days when I give myself some semblance of a break right now. And even if I'm not technically doing work in that moment, I have the dread of knowing that something (either work or bar exam studying) is hanging over my head and I probably could (or should) be doing that instead. I'm really looking forward to not dealing with that anymore.


4. I miss taking pictures. Not entirely certain why I haven't been lately. But it's something that I want to pick back up again. You know. In all of my current spare time.


5. I am terrible at sending cards. Like, ridiculously terrible. First off, it usually doesn't even occur to me in the first place to send a card. Case in point, Valentine's Day. Maybe I'll get a card for my husband, maybe I won't, but it doesn't even dawn on me to send them to anyone else. And what do I come home to this evening? A super cute Valentine from my sister, wishing B and me a happy first Valentine's Day as a married couple. Which is awesome. And something I should have thought to do for her, since this is also her and her husband's first married Valentine's. But nope. The second thing is that even if by some miracle it DOES occur to me to send a card, I won't have that flash of insight until the day of whatever thing I would be sending the card for. And then what's the point? I suppose they'd still know you were thinking of them. Just not ahead of time. Sigh.


Anyone else have that problem? And seriously, is Seattle really the only weird city without street signs on certain residential roads?

4 comments:

  1. There are some streets in my neighborhood that do not have stop/yield signs too. It throws me off! I "yield" when approaching a cross street like that. It's so irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's basically what I do too now. It's just so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the card! PS: Actually you're not *allowed* to send me any cards any time soon -- you're studying! ;) Speaking of which, when is the exam again...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I was just thinking about the cards thing too. I'm bad as well. My brothers gf sent my husband and I V-day cards and so did my dad and stepmom and FIL! I didnt send them to anyone. I want to try to change that. Will people be weirded out if they receive St Patricks Day cards to make up for my lacking for V-day??

    And the intersection thing would freak me out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...