Monday, January 16, 2012

Grateful for the Memories

When Mr. EB and I first started planning our wedding we had a lot of discussions about what we wanted it to feel like. We wanted the focus to be on our family and our friends - our community coming together to support our love and our relationship.






That was one of the reasons why it was so important to us that we had more of a weekend event where so many people were able to stay in one place. That way people got to know each other at the welcome dinner and bonfire and felt like they were catching up with friends when they ran into each other at breakfast and lunch on Saturday. By the time the actual wedding came, new friendships had formed, prior friendships had deepened, and we felt the love and support of our entire community.




My grandmother had had some health scares and we weren't sure if she was going to be able to make the cross-country trip to Washington for our wedding. She, however, was determined that she wouldn't miss it, and sure enough, she made it. The staff at IslandWood were absolutely amazing the whole weekend, making sure that my grandmother was comfortable and that the golf cart was available any time she needed it to get around the property. Because of that, my grandmother had a wonderful time getting to know my husband and his family and friends, catching up with her own family, and I have the memories of seeing her happily toasting with my parents during our reception.








The best part was that she was as involved with all of the activities that we had planned for the weekend as anyone. She hosted my bridesmaid luncheon with my aunts.


*Guest photo


She made a fishprint for our quilt (which I just realized I haven't talked about yet, but I will!).




She was at the bonfire laughing as Mr. EB and I were toasted (and slightly roasted). She had long discussions with Mr. EB's best man, probably talking philosophy and life in the Peace Corps.




*Guest photo


She enjoyed the reception as much as anyone, and was up bright and early the next morning for brunch at my parents house.


*Guest photo


Unfortunately, a few weeks ago it became clear that my grandmother's health was failing again and it was unlikely she would bounce back this time. She passed away last Friday, surrounded by all of her children and loved by so many.


Grandma and her six children 


Nearly all of my grandmother's 12 grandchildren and their spouses


She was a wonderful woman and as we all gather this week to celebrate her life, I am reminded again just how grateful I am for the memories of her smiling and hugging me, so happy that I had found Mr. EB and so excited about all that was to come for us.


*Unless otherwise noted, all photos by Persimmon Images.

8 comments:

  1. These are fantastic memories. I'm sure she's smiling down on you at this moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother looked like she was an amazing women! How awesome that you have these photos and memories to carry with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandmother sounds like an incredible lady. I'm so glad she was able to be at the wedding with you guys. I'm sorry for your loss - may your memories console you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman and I'm glad you have so many great memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I really appreciate your thoughts for myself and my family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photographs and your special memories are such a beautiful tribute to her. Thinking of you as you mourn the loss of such a sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so so sorry for your loss. I remember your Grandma from the wedding as an absolutely sweet woman. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry that you lost someone so special. Whenever I really feel sad about my Nana I'm reminded of a friend of mine who told me she never knew her grandmother. We're lucky to have had such awesome women in our lives - sometimes that helps & makes me feel a bit better. Thinking of you & your family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...