Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

Do you know that I have had Thanksgiving dinner with my parents every single year of my life? Not always at their house (one year we were in London, and often we've been with other relatives or friends). But I have always seen them on this holiday.


This is something that a lot of my friends (and my husband) are amazed by - but in college we had a week off at Thanksgiving so I always went home for the week. And when I was living in Oregon for 5 years, I still always managed to make it home for turkey day. This is one of my favorite holidays for many reasons - the family togetherness, the food (and now the wine!), the days off from work (or school), and a time to take a few days to relax before the craziness that is December. 


Whenever my mom makes Thanksgiving dinner it's all the foods that I remember from childhood - turkey and gravy, my grandmother's stuffing (that I used to dislike and is now one of my favorite foods!), peas and squash (which I still don't eat to this day - but the rest of my family loves), homemade rolls, green beans, cranberry and apple jello, cranberry sauce... and of course pies to top it off when we're all still stuffed silly.


I know a lot of people (again, including my husband) like to change up menus and try something new every year. I can appreciate that, but for me this holiday is about being with family and having the same (or at least similar throughout the years) meal drives that home for me. The food helps to connect the past with the present, and makes me excited for what the future will bring.


And since my husband and I love this type of food so much, we tend to make a belated Thanksgiving meal early in December where we try out new dishes (like sweet potatoes!). Turkey leftovers are the best!


No matter where you're celebrating, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and are able to be with family or friends (or both! We're celebrating our annual Deep Fried Thanksgiving with friends on Saturday - too bad I won't be able to eat anything there this year!).


Anyone else have traditions of going home like this? Or are you building new traditions as you get older?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you haven't missed one Thanksgiving with your family. We usually stop by my parents for a bit before we head just over the state border to his Aunt's house for Thanksgiving. I love that we get the best of both worlds. The fact that the house is really close to the outlets for Black Friday kinda rules too! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...