Thursday, August 11, 2011

What If?

I've been thinking a lot about my career lately. First off, I love my current job. More than I think I've loved any other job before. I sort of fell into it (though with a lot of hard work on my part to ultimately get the job), but it fits me great where I am right now and there's a lot of potential to grow in the future, both for the company and my role in the company.


But. There's always that dream of owning my own business. And running it myself. And seeing if I can do it. Having the flexibility of a schedule that I make for myself. Having the ever-present fear of whether I'll be able to keep it alive. Having the enormous satisfaction of creating something. Discovering whether I could create an opportunity to work with some pretty amazing people out there.


I don't have the idea for the business yet, but I know someday I want to try. And of course right now the reality is we need my paycheck coming in every two weeks, and that's fine. It's where I'm at in my life, and where my family is at.


But I read Meg's posts at A Practical Wedding about working for herself and learning about running a business and failing forward and waking up each day to do it all over again, and I think, what if? 


I'm determined to make that a reality someday. Not just a dream.

5 comments:

  1. I, too, dream of working for myself one day! I always pictured myself as a writer growing up and really making it happen for myself.

    I hope you get there some day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dream big pretty lady!!! In a dream world- I'd have my own home store with lots and lots of pretty things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! If you don't dream it, how can you ever make it happen? Thanks for the vote of confidence ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you make that dream a reality! One of my closest friends worked in the corporate world while her husband was in law school. Once he got out she started her own business and loves working for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a great dream to have! I say, work towards it a little each day if it's really something you want. Even if it's not something that can happen right away, you can start doing the research, putting together a business plan outline, etc!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...