Sunday, June 5, 2011

Weekend in the Woods: The Morning Before

Friday morning did not go as I had planned. I was really looking forward to the morning before the wedding. Friday afternoon would be spent greeting all of our extended family that had come in, getting settled at IslandWood and ready for the Welcome Dinner that night, but the morning was supposed to be a time for me to relax and prepare the weekend ahead.

See, a couple of weeks before my mom had noticed that her chiropractor's office was offering a great discount on massages for new clients and she asked if I'd like a massage the day before the wedding. I took her up on this immediately as there are very few things that relax me as much as a good massage. And getting to spend an entire hour focusing on my own relaxation sounded like an excellent way to prepare for a weekend full of people. As a sidenote, I should mention that I am definitely an introvert. I love my family and friends and I knew that for our wedding I wanted to spend as much time with them as possible, but I also know myself and my need for alone time. Which was one of the main reasons why I was so looking forward to the massage and how the time to myself would help me get through the rest of the weekend. Of course, as I alluded to earlier, things are never that easy.

I got off the ferry and arrived at the office about ten minutes early for my appointment. Only to discover that they had double booked their massage therapist and that the next open appointment wasn't until 3pm. Exactly when we would be entertaining approximately 40 family members at my parents' house and getting ready to head to IslandWood. All I could think was how much I'd been looking forward to that hour alone before the whirlwind of the weekend and now it wasn't going to happen.

So what did I do? Calmly figure out a solution? Um, no. I cried. I did manage to get myself out to the parking lot and on the phone with my mom before I started crying, but cry I did. I'm not very proud of how I handled myself in that moment, but I'm so happy I called my mom instead of just leaving and heading to their house. My mom appears to have some sort of mom super power which I hope kicks in for me when I have kids. But she called the office, did her magic, got the other appointment all squared away and I was on the massage table for my hour of relaxation. Which I needed even more after my slight breakdown in the parking lot. 

I'm so glad that I was able to get that massage as the time by myself was exactly what I needed (well, minus the drama at the beginning!). But for me, it was the perfect way to spend some time alone with my thoughts, think about what the weekend meant to me, and prepare myself to spend the next three days with friends and family. I highly suggest taking some time for yourself if you can manage it!

Next up, we head to IslandWood for the official start of our wedding weekend at the Welcome Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...