Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Weekend in the Woods: Gathering the Family

After my more dramatic-than-intended morning, I headed to my parents' house where we were hosting our extended family during the in-between time when people were arriving from the airport or after spending the morning in Seattle, but before we could head over to IslandWood.




My dad had the wine flowing, my mom had lots of food spread out and everyone was remarking on the fact that in the middle of February in the Northwest there wasn't a drop of rain in sight! 


That's right, the earlier forecast that had called for SNOW had been totally and utterly wrong. It was certainly cold, don't get me wrong, but the gorgeous blue sky that greeted us on Friday morning stayed with us for the entire weekend. I still have no idea how we managed to get such a gorgeous weekend in the middle of winter, but it was so nice to have the threat of rain (or heave forbid, snow!) taken off my plate.


Even the mountains (Mt. Baker and Mt. Ranier) were out that weekend! I was so happy that the Northwest put on such a great show given that we had a lot of guests who had never been to Seattle before.

My mom was the one who wanted to make sure that the extended family had somewhere to go on Friday as so many were arriving earlier in the week or earlier that day, but wouldn't be able to check into IslandWood until 4:00 that afternoon. 


If you are able to do something like this, I highly recommend it as for us the purpose of the weekend really was to be able to see people. It worked out fantastically for me as I had a chance to see a lot of my family either at the Bridesmaid Luncheon the day before or at my parents' house on Friday afternoon. So even before we got to IslandWood, I felt much more relaxed about making sure I saw the people I wanted to. 


I've talked about it before, but it's always made me sad to go to a wedding and barely see the bride and groom and I was determined that that wouldn't happen to us (of course it did with respect to seeing some of our guests, but there's only so much you can do no matter how hard you try!).


By 4pm we were all headed over to our home-away-from-home for the weekend and it was time to get ready for the Welcome Dinner and the first of many delicious meals from the crew at IslandWood!


Need to catch up?


We get our license to wed.
We bottle and seal our wedding wine.
We finish our projects one week out.
The bridesmaids lunch.
I make gifts for my girls.
I break down the morning before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...