Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Secrets of Adulthood

I just recently started reading the Happiness Project, and while I'm only a couple of chapters in, I'm really liking it so far. I'll definitely be writing more posts about this book, especially as it relates to marriage and work life, two things which I already recognize as being significant contributors to my happiness. The author, Gretchen Rubin (also a former attorney), has some excellent insights into what factors affect a person's happiness and I'm really excited about applying them to my own life. I'm also pretty sure this was intentional on my husband's part as he was the one who encouraged me to read the book after he finished it - I'm thinking my months of unhappiness while at past jobs and then being unemployed affected him as much as they affected me!

Among my first impressions of the book, one of the biggest things that jumped out at me is Gretchen's "Secrets of Adulthood." She dubs these secrets because they're things that you really only learn as you become an adult. But oh, how I wish I had learned the truth of several of these secrets earlier in my life! I guess I'll have to be content with recognizing them now, and living my life by these from here on out. You can find her full list here, but some of my favorites are:

  • The best reading is re-reading (I think this is one of the few that I have known since childhood, as for as long as I can remember, my favorite reading has always been to curl up with a story I've already read. It's like reconnecting with old friends.)

  • People don't notice your mistakes and flaws as much as you think.

  • Most decisions don't require extensive research.

  • Try not to let yourself get too hungry.

  • If you can't find something, clean up.

  • The days are long, but the years are short (this is similar to what my great-grandmother always said - she didn't worry when the years started flying by, it was only when the decades were whizzing past that she wondered where time had gone!)

  • What you do EVERY DAY matters more than what you do ONCE IN AWHILE.

  • You know as much as most people (I always think I'm the dumbest person in the room. I need to remind myself that that is very rarely the true situation).

  • If you're not failing, you're not trying hard enough.

1 comment:

  1. Great reminders! I'm going to have to check this out. I especially agree with the every day mattering the most - but it's something I constantly struggle with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...