Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Name Change Revisited

Well, it's been over a month since our wedding. And while I talked about my name change decision earlier, I haven't yet done anything to start the process. I haven't ordered the certified copies of our marriage license. Which means that I also haven't been able to do anything else. I haven't even changed my name on Facebook! (Though I did think that Gmail had changed my name...)


Image via Jump the Curve


Why haven't I started this process yet? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm still planning on changing my name. All of my reasons for doing it are still there. But I think the fact that we're now after the wedding and it's time to actually change my name means that it's very real all of a sudden (is that weird? I feel like that sounds weird. But that's how I'm feeling). I also know several friends who have started the process, but then lost steam. So some of their documents and records are in their new name and some are in their old name. And I could so easily see that happening to me. If I don't get it done all at once, I know I'll get annoyed with the process and just stop. But on the other hand, there are things that I want (and need) to do with my new name, like open a joint bank account already. It doesn't make sense to open it with my old name when I know I'll be changing it soon. So we're waiting. And I know that it's annoying to Mr. EB (though he's very good about not putting any pressure on me about it). So yes, I know I just need to do it. But as with other wedding projects I took on, this one just seems particularly difficult for me to start.


Change is tough for me, especially when it's an active choice that I have to make like this. Did anyone else struggle with the actual act of changing your name even though you already made the decision?

1 comment:

  1. Uggg! I made the change right away. I won't say that I regret it but it just feels very strange to me still and I haven't gotten used to it. I had a few second thoughts. I think I would have felt the same if I had NOT changed it or did hyphenate. I just sort of felt on the fence about the whole thing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...