Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back to Reading

I used to be an absolutely voracious reader. I would read ALL the time - including at the dinner table until my mom finally had to make an absolute rule that there were no books at the table. 


Then I went to law school and had no more time to read for fun. And since graduating from law school I've never quite gotten back into habit of reading as many books as I used to.


I finally decided that it was time to change that, especially with the number of books that B and I own that I haven't read yet. I came across the idea of the Unread Library and decided I would do that as well, and not buy any more books until I finished my Unread Library.


Well, I've done a good job of not buying more books myself, but for Christmas I got a bunch of books that I immediately started devouring. So while I haven't made much progress on my Unread Library, I have gotten back into the habit of reading for fun. And it feels so good to pick up a book and see it through to the end. In case anyone is looking for some new books to read, here are a few that I've recently finished:



This trilogy was amazing. Some parts were hard to read simply because of the depth of human cruelty that Suzanne Collins described in her post-apocalyptic world. The story was so compelling that I read all three books in only a couple of days (so glad I didn't find these books earlier and have to wait for a year in between novels!).


I still haven't seen The Social Network because I really wanted to read the book that it was based on first. I enjoyed this book as a dramatic narrative, but it does make me wonder how accurate it is. Yes, Ben Mezrich based his book on documentation and interviews with key players, but when the people you're interviewing have all felt deeply betrayed by Mark Zuckerberg, I'm not positive you can get an unbiased look at what took place 7 years ago. In any event, I still think it's a compelling piece of drama so long as you realize that this is probably not the absolute truth of what happened. Next on my list to read is The Facebook Effect, which was written by David Kirkpatrick who had access to and cooperation from key employees at Facebook. I think it will be interesting to see what's different between the two accounts.


I finally finished this trilogy! I read the first two books ages ago, but this one was on my dad's kindle which broke so I couldn't access the book for a long time. But. I finally picked it back up and I'm really glad that I did. I still think the first book was my favorite and I'm not thrilled with how it ended - but I think that's more because Stieg Larsson anticipated writing more novels and he just didn't have the chance. Overall, I think the trilogy was excellent and I highly recommend it.

What's next on my list? Oogy by Larry Levin, The Facebook Effect by David Kirkpatrick, The Lion by Nelson DeMille and The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant (and since these were all given to me, they're now technically part of my Unread Library, so I'm not even cheating on that!). 

So what's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...