Friday, December 3, 2010

One Moment in My Life

Is that a Gloria Estefan song? I can't even remember now, but that song was used for at least one of our end-of-the-year swim team videos that my parents made, and it was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard someone say "one moment in your life." Complete tangent, but now I really want to go back and find that video - I wasn't a great swimmer, but I was still Co-Captain my senior year, and what a fantastic experience that was. I don't miss high school at all, but I do miss being part of a team like that (I swam and played water polo - basically I smelled like chlorine for four years. It was awesome). (And it was driving me nuts so I had to look it up. The song I'm thinking of is Gloria Estefan's Reach.)


Anyway. Now that I've had that really specific flashback to a moment in high school, I want to address the #reverb10 prompt, which was to pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year.


I'm cheating. Sort of. My moment is from almost 1 year ago exactly. Which means that while technically it was from 2009 rather than 2010, it was still within a year from today. So it counts. Whatever.


Ahem. One moment.


One year ago, Mr. EB proposed to me after we spent the day together finding and cutting down our first Christmas tree. I wasn't expecting it at all - we had talked about our future and knew that we would get married, but I figured the actual proposal and engagement and other stuff was a year or so down the road. But there in our first apartment together, Mr. EB got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was in my favorite pair of sweats (which I am currently wearing as I write this - they are old, they are faded and they are fantastic). My wet hair was piled in a sloppy bun from the bath that I had just taken. Our dog was running around wondering why I was crying and why Mr. EB was kneeling on the floor.


Afterward, all I felt was contentment. Happiness in the now. Not looking forward or back - just being in the moment.


We shared a bottle of sparkling wine from Argyle (one of my favorite sparkling wine producers in the Northwest).




We watched the lights on our Christmas tree. 


We called our families. 


And we sat on the couch, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...