Monday, December 13, 2010

Nervous tics

I love to laugh. A sense of humor is extremely important to me in a person, and luckily B has that in spades. I also tend to laugh really hard. As evidenced by this picture from a Halloween party in law school. And for the record, the beer that I'm holding was my first one of the evening. I just couldn't stop laughing that entire night.



And when it's a real laugh, I can't help but laugh wholeheartedly with my whole body (and look like a goofball in the process apparently!).


But one thing I never noticed about myself until B pointed it out is that I have a nervous laugh - a very weird and jarring sound to him, evidently, since it's so far off from what my normal laugh sounds like. As I said, this is something that I never noticed about myself before he started pointing it out to me (unlike my annoying habit of apologizing for everything - that I very much knew I did, but couldn't get myself to stop it until B started pointing out just how annoying it is).


My nervous laugh comes out when I'm nervous (um, duh), or when I'm uncomfortable or when I just don't know what else to do. Most of the time (still!) I don't even realize I've done it until I notice an odd sideways glance from B. But it made me start to wonder how many inadvertent tics we each have that we never even know until our partner points them out to us. Anyone else have something like this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...