Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Community

Today's prompt asks about community - specifically where have you found community in 2010, and what community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?


My first reaction? In 2010 I found community here. Why yes, I do love that show!


But truly, the community that I found this past year was the online community that I've slowly but surely become a part of. I started this blog, I joined twitter, and I found an incredible bunch of people out there that I never would have connected with if I didn't start writing. I thought that I would remain in my little corner of the internet, but writing and reading others' blogs just makes me want to keep branching out and seeing what else is there. 


As for 2011, I'd like to create a smaller community that's a little closer to home. When I learned we were going to be moving back to Seattle I was so excited at the thought of getting to see old friends more often than once every three months for a few hours. Unfortunately, I forgot to account for how freaking busy we all are, and how hard it is to find time to see each other (let alone coordinate schedules to get more than two of us together). Several friends had been in a book club last year, but it slowly disbanded after people's schedules became too crazy. My goal is to restart that book club. I have a couple of selfish reasons for wanting to restart it - one, I get stuck in a rut with my reading habits. I like the idea of someone else picking a book that I might not otherwise have read. And two? I want a scheduled excuse to see my friends at least once a month. I know that as we get older and have kids our lives will just get more crazy. But maybe if we can create a habit out of this now, it'll stick.

2 comments:

  1. I hate the "busy" factor. My very best friends all live within 40 miles of me, yet I haven't seen them in months. It seems ridiculous, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Definitely trying to work on it from my side, but it's hard.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...