Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tips for Keeping Your Sanity While Playing With Scanners

I also wanted to add in a few tips that I learned from our registry experience:


1. Don't go on an empty stomach. I am not a happy person when I am hungry. I wasn't hungry when we left, but wow was I starving about halfway through. We didn't even end up going to Crate and Barrel because I was about ready to eat the first thing I saw (which would have been the plastic food on the table displays). It's much more fun for both of you if you are calm and relaxed than wondering if your stomach will actually eat itself if you don't give it food.


2. Leave plenty of time for wandering the store. More accurately, don't go at 12:30 on a Sunday when your football team is playing at 1:30 and think that you'll actually have enough time to go to two different stores, finish your registries, and even have time for food in there. Yeah, so not going to happen. Again, one other reason why we didn't go to Crate and Barrel after we were done at Macy's. Luckily, we got to see the second half and the Seahawks beat the Cardinals. Go Hawks!


3. Listen to what your partner wants. There were some things that I didn't particularly care about. For example, I didn't really think about getting nice glasses. We already have nice everyday drinking glasses, and our wine glasses are Riedel so we were just going to register for more of those. So I didn't think we needed to look at that section. But Mr. EB really wanted to register for some nice highball glasses. So we both made a conscious effort to make sure that we were listening to each other about what we wanted to add to the list.


4. Wander the store by yourselves. I'm so happy that all of the consultants were busy with other people when we went in. We already had a pretty good idea of what we wanted, so I was really glad that we didn't have someone following us the whole time.


5. But if you have questions, ask! We didn't have a lot of questions during the process, but it was nice to know that someone was there if we were confused about anything. Plus they did have some nice completion deals and other random gifts (like a free lip gloss from Clinique), so it did pay to listen to them when they're talking about all of the extras that go along with registering.


6. Remember that nothing is permanent, you can always change it later! I think this was the reason that I stayed so calm about the process. We didn't have to figure out how to get the 5 piece place setting scanned with the weird little scanner (or sit there and scan every piece individually). We could just scan one of the plates and know that we could go back and change it online later. So easy!


7. If you love it, add it. This tip came from a friend who commented on my personal blog, and it's something that I agree with completely, yet had a hard time actually following. I do wonder if people will judge me based on what we add to our registry, but as I thought about it more, I realized that most of what we registered for are pieces that will last for a really long time, if not our entire lives. It's ok that we want quality and it's ok that these things cost a bit more. We made sure to add plenty of options in different price ranges, and ultimately, it doesn't matter what other people think. 


So there are my tips for a successful registry outing. Any other tips you would add?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. We def. had items where you could tell who registered for it. The Kate spade bud vase? Me. The Jimmy Buffet Margarita Maker? Him. LOL

    I should add - I think it's fine to have super $$ items as long as you have more practical items to balance it. Sure we crystal goblets for $70 each, but we also had ice-pop molds for $10. :)

    Oh & we're ALL over the "not forever" thing. I think we have $800 credit at bedbath&beyond. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yeah - we're definitely trying to balance out the registry. And remembering that no one has to get us anything, this is just our way of telling people what we'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...