Friday, October 1, 2010

Wedding Themes

Am I the only one who doesn't think that a wedding needs a theme? I mean, isn't the theme getting married? Now I guess our wedding has a theme in the sense that it's a woodsy winter wedding. But I feel like that came about really organically and not via any hard soul searching on our parts. I mean, we're getting married in the woods in February. Done.






But seriously. While I think some themes are lovely, I'm just not sure they're necessary. I do think that it's important to narrow down ideas so that your event has some cohesiveness, but the idea of tying everything down to a theme sometimes seems limiting to me.  I think that's why I'm resistant whenever anyone asks me what our colors are.  Yes, blue and green are the main colors that we're using, but I don't feel the need to focus everything on those two colors. Which is why I might be including burgundy pashminas.  And why I want candlelight rather than perfectly coordinated flowers to be our centerpieces.






What's your take on themes?  Do you think a wedding needs one?  Or can the wedding itself be the theme?

2 comments:

  1. I agree themes are not needed but they seem to just happen. Our wedding has taken on a rustic vineyard theme but thats because we're getting married at a rustic vineyard. Also our colors are emerald and gold but deep purple is working its way in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's kind of what I'm talking about though - having the theme come organically from choices you've made rather than fighting to fit your wedding to your theme... And it totally makes sense that you'd have that type of a theme getting married at a vineyard (I so wanted a vineyard wedding, but there aren't too many close to my parents house!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...