Monday, October 18, 2010

An Open Letter to Wedding Vendors

Dear Wedding Vendors,


As we plan our wedding day, we know that we are in need of a [venue], [caterer], [florist], [photographer], [insert other vendor here]. While I am a bride on a budget and we'll be doing some things ourselves, I know that we'll need and want professional help in many areas in order to ensure that I don't go crazy by the big day. However, there are also some things that I need from you if we're going to be able to work together.


If you are selling yourself as a professional, you need to have a professional looking website. Even more importantly than that, however, you need to have a website, period. If you don't, I'm not going to find you, and if for some reason I have been given your name and you don't have a website, there's a very small chance that I'll want to work with you if I can't immediately find examples of your work.


Whatever sort of website you have, make sure to proofread it! That also goes for any written correspondence we might have. If I can't trust you to proof your site or your e-mails, why would I trust you to execute the details of our wedding?


As someone who may be doing research on vendors while at work (on my lunch hour, of course), if you have any music playing when I click to your site, I'm going to close it immediately and never come back. 


Please, please, please have your pricing information easily available on your site. You're busy, I'm busy, and yes, I know you want me to contact you and start a conversation about whether we might want to work together, but give me a ballpark figure at least. I don't want to fall in love with your work and go back and forth with you just to find out that your least expensive package is twice my total budget.


Don't make fun of my budget. Just because our wedding won't qualify as a platinum wedding doesn't mean our party won't be fabulous.


Never be late. I will do my best to never be late to an appointment, but I'm the one who's paying you. What's your excuse for keeping me waiting?


Finally, listen to what I want and help me make it even better. Don't run over my ideas and tell me why they're stupid, but do help me to understand if you really don't think something will work. And then give me an alternative.


Sincerely,
A Long Far View

1 comment:

  1. Um, what's going on? :) Rough week? :)

    ps: I'm going to see you soon! As in ... this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...