Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Making Me Up, Part 1

When I was in middle school, I discovered makeup. And I wore it to school every day. Which is kind of funny looking back, because when I got to high school I realized that spending that much time on makeup wasn't worth it to me (I was a swimmer and water polo player - when you're up at 5am to practice and then have to get ready for school in a cold, damp locker room with 25 other girls, you pretty much do whatever you have to in order to get out of there as fast as you can).

Since then, I've been a pretty basic makeup user. As in, I don't think I'm a total idiot, and I usually wear some makeup when I go out, but I generally don't wear very much.

What does this have to do with our wedding? Well, my natural look is something that I like, and B loves. He still thinks I look pretty when I put more makeup on to go out, but he never fails to comment on it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of the first times I tried to play up my eyes and add a little bit more eyeshadow, he said I looked weird. He meant it in a very loving way, but as he put it, he's not used to seeing me that way, and it was odd for him.

Ahem. Back to our wedding. Really what this means is that I don't want a heavy makeup look for our wedding. And I'm concerned that if I go with a makeup artist, that's what I'll get. See, the few times that I've had my makeup professionally applied, it's looked good, but it's felt so heavy. And not me. And B gives me the weird look. And I'd really prefer to have him smiling at me when I walk down the aisle rather than wondering what all that stuff is on my face.

But I'd also like to look pretty and not have my uneven skin tones around for pictures. So what's a girl to do? Figure out how to make myself up so that I feel beautiful and have enough makeup on for the cameras, but not so much that B wonders who in fact it is he's marrying.

Which is all easier said than done, that's for sure!

Over the next few posts, I'll show you what I've learned so far. I'm certainly not done yet, but by the time our wedding comes around, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to make my face up the way I want. And if all else fails, I have lots of friends and family who will be on hand to give me any help I need on the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...