Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I didn't see that coming

Back when we first started planning the wedding, invitations weren't super high on my list. I mean, I love them and I think they're beautiful, but I knew I couldn't afford the amazing letter pressed full invitation suite that I though I wanted, and neither did I think I wanted to take on the task of designing and printing our invitations myself. When I was in college I took two semesters of a book making and printing class with three of my roommates. I loved the design and creation process, but since that class I haven't done much in the way of paper design. Since I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do about this, I did what I do all to often in these types of situations. Decided to ignore it and deal with it later.


Hey, guess what? It's later. Yeah. It's time to figure out exactly what we're going to do for invitations. Especially since etiquette dictates that you're supposed to send out invitations 6-8 weeks before the wedding, and that falls right around Christmas time. You know, that time when the mail system is overloaded with Christmas cards and packages? Yeah, that. Because of that I'm thinking that we should send out the invites just a bit earlier than that so that they don't get lost in the holiday shuffle. But really, that just means that I need to pull my head out of the sand and start working on them (since uh, it's almost November. Seriously - when did that happen?).


Since then, I've gathered a lot of inspiration pictures, some of which I showed you here. As I started focusing in on the invitation styles that I really liked, I noticed that I much prefer text only invitations. There are so many beautiful invitations out there with graphics and flourishes, but ultimately I wanted the words to be the focus and create the impact on the invitation.


After I realized what I really wanted, I started to think that maybe I could design them myself. I never thought I would be DIY-ing our invitations, but apparently that's what I'm doing. I'm still not positive what we're going to do for printing them, but I think if we find paper that we like we'll end up printing them ourselves, too. Or maybe use one of the printers in my parents' hometown? We haven't figured that part out quite yet. But I am surprised at just how much fun I've had with the designing process though - I love figuring out which fonts to use, and how to design the invitation to best convey to our guests what we want them to feel at our wedding.


We're still tweaking the final design so it isn't quite ready to share yet, but it will be soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...