Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Setting the mood

What a day! Yesterday B, my mom, my aunt, my cousin and I spent the day in Seattle trying to work through ideas that had been percolating in my head but that I hadn't yet been able to picture how they might come together.  And of course, my aunt came up with a ton of other ideas that I hadn't even thought of yet!

Specifically - I had no idea how we should decorate the ceremony space.  See, the Great Hall at IslandWood is beautiful in its simplicity - there is a main stage which will be where we will say our vows and the focal point of the ceremony.  But I had no idea what we were going to do with all that space on the stage.  My only thought was that I wanted candles lining the front of the stage (in different size vases and hurricanes).  My aunt had the fantastic idea of using live trees as our background on the stage in various colors of green and different textures as a way to bring in a bit of the woods into the inside of our venue and appease my desire not to have lots of cut flower arrangements.  I love this idea - we're going to talk to a local nursery to see if we can rent the trees for the weekend so that we don't have to incur the full cost of purchasing live trees (especially since my parents don't really have room in their yard to plant several more trees after we're done with them).  


We're thinking of using evergreens as the base and then working forward with other non-deciduous trees (deciduous does refer to those trees that shed their leaves in the winter right?  Yeah, we don't want those because we still want some color, not just bare branches back there!).  We'll layer the different trees and bushes that we're able to get (my aunt will likely pick these out a couple of weeks ahead of time when we're able to see what's available and what will work well for the space we have).  I took this picture at the nursery that we visited yesterday mainly as a way to envision how layering the trees will look (no, we won't be doing a triangular shape like this, nor will we be using these plants, it's more the layering effect with different heights that I like).


I really love this look!  Of course, a lot still depends on whether or not we'll be able to get trees at a reasonable price, but I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to pull this off.

After our trip to the nursery we stopped by Home Depot to pick up a lot of paint chips play with to figure out which shades of blue and green we'll be using, and what other colors we might want to mix in, like ivory or red (well, probably more maroon or something like that... as I've said, it's a constantly evolving color scheme right now!)


And then.  Then we went to Ikea.  But I'll share the results of our Ikea trip tomorrow.  Needless to say - I love what we found and I can't wait to see it all in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...