Sunday, September 12, 2010

I hate trends

But not for the reason you may think. I hate when things become trendy because then it means they become expensive! Case in point - cupcakes. I love cupcakes. A few years ago as I was watching my friends get married and wondering what I might do someday for my own wedding, I thought cupcakes would be awesome. Cute, easy, no cutting fee, what could go wrong?  Oh right, everyone else thought they'd be great too! And now they're all over the place, which means that bakeries can charge out the wazoo for these little guys.  So, no cupcakes. I'll just keep making them myself when I need a fix.

So. What does that leave us for the cake department? Well, there's always, you know - cake. Which I would happily devour. I love cake. Love. It. However, know something else I don't like? Yeah, how much fondant and fancy decorations on said cake cost. (I'm really not that cheap despite all evidence to the contrary, and I know that there are some fabulous bakers out there and I love what they do, I just have a really hard time with some of those prices for something that is supposed to end up in my belly. I mean, yeah, I'll pay for a fantastic dinner out now and then, but somehow that's different. No, I can't explain how, but I'll work on it). Ahem. Anyway. Moving on. These are some examples of cakes that I like (and if you can't already tell with me, they're all more on the simple and classic end - that's just how I roll):




But - what if we don't do a tiered cake? What if we do a cake buffet? And yes, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that's also a trend, and I know it is, but as far as I can tell, this one isn't quite as big as cupcakes, and hopefully that also means it's not quite as expensive. Obviously I haven't done extensive research yet.  But I will.  Oh boy, I can't wait to do the research that finding our cake baker will entail!

But back to the cake buffet.  One of my good friends did a cake buffet at her wedding.  And it was awesome. And it was actually a really good way of being able to easily have a dessert that was dairy, wheat, gluten (and taste? Ha, just kidding) free. Which would definitely be a good thing for me as I have several friends who have special food issues, and if possible I would like to accommodate them so that they can eat cake, too. 

So is it ok to do a not-quite-overdone trend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...