Monday, August 30, 2010

Something Old

I've never doubted that I would follow the tradition of having something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue on my wedding day.  The reason that I was so sure of this was because I knew I'd have two of the items without even thinking about it.  My something new?  My dress!  (Or my jewelry, or shoes, or hair flower, or really any number of potential new things that I will be wearing that day).  But what I really want to talk about is my something old.  And it's really, really old.

Pardon the not at all spread out very nicely veil - I was having issues with getting it straight on my bed.

The veil that I will be wearing is the one that my mother wore when she got married.  But she wasn't the first person in her family to wear it.  Three of my mom's sisters wore this veil, as have two of my cousins.  I feel so blessed that my family has this amazing piece of history that they've passed down among the women of our family, and I'm so excited that it's my turn to wear this veil!

 A close up of the lace detailing.

It's a beautiful triangular lace mantilla veil that I've been told was over 100 years old when my aunt first wore it.  It's absolutely gorgeous in person - a bit yellowed with age when it's all folded up, but (and I'm totally biased here) it looks stunning when it's on.

Why yes, I am attempting to take a photo of myself wearing the veil in my parents' bathroom because that was the only room with a mirror and enough light to sort of make it work.  Clearly I need to ask my mother to take pictures of me in the veil at some point.

I'm so excited to wear this veil, and I love how it looks with my dress!  (Again, really not biased at all here!).  The comb that's attached to the veil was a new addition by one of my cousins - when my mom wore it she had it in the more traditional mantilla style across her head (she has a beautiful bridal portrait that I have to see if she'll let me post sometime). 

As for my something blue, I'm pretty sure I want to wear blue shoes (I'm thinking about the Nina's from my inspiration board, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on them yet for some reason). My something borrowed, however, is another incredibly special family heirloom. My aunt (and godmother) offered to let me wear the earrings that she wore on her wedding day (and that my cousin wore as well). I'm so excited that she's letting me borrow them. Family is incredibly important to me, and I love knowing that there will be special touches of family in so many different aspects of our wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...