Saturday, August 28, 2010

Please don't stop the music (part 1)

Ha, couldn't resist the title.  But, random lyrics aside, I have to admit that I'm not that into music.  Well, that's not entirely accurate.  I like music.  I enjoy listening to it.  But I've never been that knowledgable about it.  I like what I like (helpful!), and tend to stay close to that.  Which sort of influences my ideas for our wedding music.  We haven't decided for sure on anything, but here are some of the things that I've been thinking about (and I will be the first to admit that none of these are hip, edgy, whatever - I told you I like what I like, and this is what I like!)

For the wedding ceremony:

Pachelbel's Canon in D.  Yes, I realize that this song is considered overdone in the world of weddings (and graduations and pretty much any other type of ceremony that requires people walking in to somewhere), but I don't really care.  I love this song and it has always symbolized weddings to me (WAY more than Wagner's Bridal Chorus or Mendellsohn's Wedding March which have always quite frankly scared me just a little bit).  But first I have to share this other video I found while searching for different versions of the song.  Yes, I'm apparently almost four years late to this party, but holy crap he's funny and I'm sharing.


Ahem, back to the song I love.


Now, as I said, I'm not positive that we're going to play this song because I'm not entirely certain how we're going to do the music for the ceremony.  See, a really good friend of mine from college is an AMAZING violinist.  And she has graciously offered to play for us if we would like her to.  This is huge, because she does not offer this lightly (she's played many a wedding growing up, and I'm pretty sure would be happy to never play at another wedding for the rest of her life).  So, I don't want to foist a song on her that she doesn't want to play (though the violin part is much prettier than the cello).

If my friend ends up not being able to play, then we'll probably hook up some speakers, in which case Pachelbel's Canon is still one of my top choices.  But I was listening to some Vitamin String Quartet (I have become obsessed with them in my search for wedding music) and came across their version of "Hallelujah," and holy cow I love it.  Take a listen:

 

This is one of Mr. EB's and my favorite songs, and I think it would be really pretty for when the bridal party processes and Mr. EB is standing up at the front already.  Or would this be a weird song to play at a wedding, even without the lyrics?  Not sure yet. 

I also love their version of the Beatles "Let it Be:"


I could happily listen to this all day.  So guys - any other ideas for the processional?  I'm also not sure if I want a separate song for the bridal party to walk into and then for my processional, or if it should all just be one song.  Thoughts on that?

Or we could just pay homage to my dad and have him walk me down the aisle to Queen.  Pretty sure my mom will veto that one!  Though in all seriousness I actually really like this version of "You're My Best Friend" (maybe for the recessional?).

2 comments:

  1. Of course, count me in! I'm more than happy to play whatever music your heart desires - even Pachelbel's Canon. :) So good to see you this weekend, can't wait for you to move up here in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! So so excited about everything - and great to see you too! We'll definitely talk more about what we can do for music. Can't wait to have happy hour more regularly with you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...