Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Banana Bread


Banana bread is one of those total comfort foods for me - the smell, taste and texture all bring me back to baking bread with my mom when I was a kid.
The recipe that I use now isn't exactly my mom's, but I think I sort of adapted hers with another recipe that I found years ago (though I can't for the life of me remember where I found this other recipe). My mom's is a bit denser, so I think I just added a bit more flour to this. I think. I like a fairly basic banana bread - no nuts or raisins for me! But if you ever have the urge (and the overripe bananas on hand - it's amazing how quickly they ripen up in a 85+ degree kitchen! Waiting for the heatwave to be over here...), this is a pretty fail safe recipe for yummy bread.

(I made a double recipe this time because we had an overabundance of bananas, so the recipe below yields one loaf of bread).




Banana Bread

3 or 4 bananas, smashed

1/3 cup melted butter

1 cup sugar (can be reduced to 3/4 cup if you prefer less sugar)

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda

pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup flour


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Smash the bananas in a large bowl. Mix the melted butter into the smashed bananas, stirring in well. Stir in the sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle in the baking soda and salt, and mix. Add flour and mix until combined. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. totally agree; it's fab toasted... i often bulk it up a bit by bunging desicated coconut into it & a bit of cinnamon; always reckon you can never have too much cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...