Thursday, July 22, 2010

So Many Books, So Little Time

I came across the idea of the Unread Library from Marissa of Parenthetical Me when she included it on her list of 31 in 31. And it's exactly the term for what I've been meaning to do for years.



See, I am a book lover. I alluded to that earlier when I talked about how excited I am that my dad is letting me use his old Kindle. Well, it's certainly opened up my library having access to all of the books that he's downloaded! And that's nothing compared to the number of physical books that are in my parents house. I grew up loving books and I have certainly continued to feed that love with my trips to
Powells (I love that store. I sometimes wish I could move into that store). However. My love of books means that I also currently possess a good many books that I have not read yet. I buy a stack of books with the best intentions of reading all of them, but then life gets in the way and I want to read something else, or I want to read something comforting and familiar, or I just don't feel like reading. So, new goal is to gather up all of the books that I currently own and have not read. As we will be moving again in a couple of months, this is the perfect time to create a list of all of those books that I haven't read. So that I can stop hanging my head in shame when someone looks at my shelves, asks me about a certain book, and my answer is to say that I haven't read it yet. Plus, there are just so many books out there that I really should have read already! The main ones I'm thinking of are Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse.

Once I figure out the list I plan on posting it here and crossing them off as I get through them. It certainly won't be quick and I don't think I can commit to not buying any more books until I finish the list, but once I have something staring at me I think it will be much easier to grab a book off that list then to pick something I've already read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...