Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Increasing the Number of Books on My "To Read" List

Anyone who knows my Dad knows that while he loves tech gadgets, he's not always an early adopter of new toys when they come out. One thing that he was an early adopter of was the Kindle. My father has more books than any other person I've ever met. His library is absolutely gigantic (he's been using LibraryThing to categorize his books, and I think he was really disappointed when he discovered he didn't actually have the biggest library on their site).

One of his favorite things about the Kindle was the ability to bring many books on his business trips without breaking his back. He's always reading several different books at once (usually because he finishes them so quickly), and the Kindle made that much simpler.

But did you know that the Kindle has had several iterations since it came out? Each one kept getting better and better - which means that I am now the lucky recipient of getting to borrow his original Kindle for the time being. Even better part about that is that it comes with all the books that he's ordered that I now get to read - my list of books to read has just grown exponentially!

However, something happened that has threatened his love of the Kindle. And that something is the iPad. Due to his lack of early adopting (especially when it comes to Apple products), I was not expecting to get an e-mail from him telling us all what he liked and disliked about the new iPad as soon as it came out last month. There are definitely some quirks with it, but I think he really likes reading on it including flipping pages with a finger swipe rather than pressing a button.

Now I just have to see which one of us he'll be pawning off this iPad to if he decides to get the 3G model when it comes out... until then, I'll enjoy my new found library on the Kindle. I love that I have access to so many more books in one place, but I just wish that I had more time to read them. Pretty sure that until I no longer have to work a full time job, I will never be able to have as much time to read as I would like. Ah well, a girl can always dream about a future after winning the lottery in which there is all the time in the world to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...