Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Puppy


Who actually isn't really a puppy anymore. At over five years old, he's starting to hit his stride... or something. I got Cody during my first semester of law school. I was finally in a place where I could have a dog, and I had a backyard and I figured it was the perfect time to get a dog. I was living with my sister at the time and one Saturday morning I told her that we should go to the Humane Society just to look around, and get a feel for the dogs who needed homes and that we'd come back in a few weeks. Um yeah. Cody totally came home that day. We think he was about 5 or 6 months at the time which I have decided is the perfect time to get a dog. They're definitely still in the puppy stage, but old enough to be house broken (or just about) with good manners.


And of course I didn't have quite as much time as I'd originally thought (yeah 1L year is tough - very happy to never have to do that again). But, the best part about having a dog during that time was having an absolute excuse to get out of the library every so often - I had to take the puppy out! Now multiple moves later it's still nice to have that excuse - though I have to say, B has picked up much more of the dog-walking duty in recent months (yeah, I'm a slacker - plus he's home in the evening before I get home and he can only withstand the begging to go out for so long!)


I was a little bit afraid how Cody was going to deal with having B move in. See, when I first got Cody, it was me and my sister. Then it was just me. And Cody definitely took up half my bed. I had no idea how any of that was going to work out and yes, I'm that girl who wondered how her dog would deal. Luckily, Cody adores B. In fact, I'm pretty sure if B and I were to ever split up we'd have to work out a joint custody agreement for the dog, because Cody would be miserable without the walks and the running and the food that "accidentally" finds its way into his dish while B is making dinner. And I love seeing them cuddle on the couch together after dinner. Ridiculous in its cuteness.


So that's the other member of our little family. At some point we'd love to get another dog, but for now it's just the three of us. And much as I'd love to have him at the wedding, our venue (we have a venue!) has a no canine policy. But that's all right - he'll be at my parents house basking in all the attention from friends, relatives and whoever else stops through.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...